Nutrex Hawaii was founded in Kailua-Kona, Hawaii in 1990 by Dr. Gerald Cysewski, a world-renowned expert in microalgae and carotenoids. Our mission is to utilize the benefits of microalgae to improve health and extend lives in the world wide community.
Carved out of land that was once a barren lava flow, Nutrex Hawaii is located on the pristine Kona coast on the Big Island of Hawaii. Our farm draws on the natural resources that surround us – abundant warm sunlight, pure deep ocean water and 100% fresh water drawn from Hawaiian aquifers to cultivate:
- Hawaiian Spirulina Pacifica® – a superior strain of Spirulina, with the highest known nutritional content of any Spirulina.
- BioAstin® – 100% pure, natural Hawaiian Astaxanthin™, the world’s strongest natural antioxidant with benefits for joint health, skin health, eye and brain health and for athletes and active people.
What Makes Nutrex Hawaii Products Unique?
Situated on the bright, sunny Kona coast, our farm receives more sunlight than any other coastal location in the United States enabling Nutrex Hawaiian Spirulina Pacifica to grow continuously for 12 months a year. Our ponds have been in operation since 1985.
What does that mean for you? More nutrition. Spirulina Pacifica has evolved into a nutritionally superior strain after more than 25 years of continuous cultivation in the intense Hawaiian sun.
- BioSecure Zone
Nutrex Hawaii is the only microalgae farm located in a “BioSecure Zone” that prohibits the use of harmful pesticides and genetically modified organisms.
What does that mean for you? Our Hawaiian Spirulina Pacifica and BioAstin Hawaiian Astaxanthin products are grown without using any harmful pesticides, herbicides and we do not generate land erosion or water pollution. Our products are safe, pure and guaranteed GMO Free.
- 100% Potable Drinking Water
Our products are grown with 100% potable drinking water. This water is collected from the Big Island’s pristine aquifer. After being natural filtered through lava rock, this water is as fresh as it gets. To minimize water waste and return essential nutrients back into our growing ponds, the majority of the fresh water is recycled and returned to the pond for the next growing cycle. This process contributes to providing the world’s most nutritious Spirulina.
- Ultra-Pure Deep Ocean Water
Five percent ocean water is added to the growing media for Hawaiian Spirulina Pacifica. It is the only cultured microalgae grown with ultra-pure deep ocean water pumped up from a depth of 2000 feet below sea level.
What does that mean for you? Hawaiian Spirulina Pacifica® is enriched with all 94 minerals and trace elements including magnesium and calcium.
- Ocean Chill Drying™
Nutrex Hawaii’s patented Ocean Chill Drying™ system eliminates oxidation and damage to carotenoids, enzymes and other fragile nutrients that occur in standard drying methods.
What does that mean for you? Nutritional content that you can rely on. This patented system dries our Spirulina in just 3-7 seconds, relies on very cold deep ocean water to provide de-humidification and uses less than one percent oxygen to preserve the phytonutrients. And because of our superior packaging, our Spirulina arrives to the consumer as fresh as the day it was harvested.
Environmental Responsibility & Sustainability
Nutrex Hawaii’s corporate philosophy is to leave the land and environment in better condition than when we started.
What does this mean for you? You can feel good about purchasing products from a company that does everything possible to protect the environment. Some examples of our environmental stewardship include:
- Our vast algae ponds give off oxygen as they grow to help combat global warming.
- Spirulina is the world’s most productive crop that uses the least amount of water per pound of protein produced.
- We use cold seawater as an economical source of energy to cool our culture ponds and even to air condition our buildings.
- We recycle everything from the water in our culture ponds to the waste algae we produce (which is used by local farmers as fertilizer).
- A portion of our profits are donated to worthy causes and we’ve received an Audubon Society award for saving an endangered species of local Hawaiian birds.
You can be sure that when purchasing a product from Nutrex Hawaii, you are doing a small part to help protect the fragile Hawaiian ecosystem.