- Spirulina reduced urine radioactivity by 50% in only 20 days in children who were exposed to radiation by the Chernobyl nuclear meltdown.
- Subsequently, a Russian patent was awarded for use of Spirulina from improving immunity of children affected by the Chernobyl disaster. Significant improvement was found in immune markers in their blood after 45 days of Spirulina supplementation.
- A Polysaccharide found in Spirulina shows chemo-protective and radio-protective capabilities in laboratory animals *
- Spirulina extract provided a radio-protective effect in mouse bone marrow cells*
- An extract of Spirulina combined with vitamin complex led to a correcting effect in rats exposed to radiation*
Fortunately, Fukushima has not affected our Spirulina or Astaxanthin. Though we haven’t had any problems with radiation, Nutrex Hawaii does testing in our labs and we also send samples to an outside, third party lab for radiation testing. Each test has come back negative for radiation. We also want to note that our Spirulina and Astaxanthin products are not grown in the ocean- they are grown in lined, fresh water ponds. The 5% sea water mixture in the spirulina is pumped from 2000 ft below the ocean surface and has not seen the surface in over 2000 years. It pretty much some of the purest water you can get.
*Please note: Nutrex Hawaii does not condone the use of animals in medical research; we report animal research done by others so that the reader may fully understand the potential benefits of Spirulina for radiation exposure.