These gluten-free and vegan cupcakes are made from scratch - but it's not as intimidating as you think! Using simple and healthy ingredients, these cupcakes are tender, moist, chocolatey and delicious in every way.
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Servings: 6 cupcakes
- 2 flax eggs
- ½ cup chocolate oat milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup oat flour
- ⅓ cup coconut or almond flour
- ⅓ cup cacao powder
- 2 teaspoons spirulina
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
Buttercream Frosting Ingredients:
- ¼ cup vegan butter, softened
- 1 ¾ - 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon plant milk
- 1-2 teaspoons Hawaiian Spirulina powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. In a small bowl, mix together 2 tablespoons of ground flax with 6 tablespoons of water and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, add in the remaining wet ingredients and mix, then add in the flax egg.
4. To the same bowl, add in the dry ingredients and mix until all incorporated. Pour evenly into a muffin tin (either silicone or an oiled muffin tin) this should make around 6 cupcakes.
5. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until a toothpick can be removed mostly clean.
6. While the cupcakes cool, make the buttercream frosting by adding the frosting ingredients to a large mixing bowl. Using a hand mixer, whisk until fluffy and smooth.
7. Set in the fridge while the cupcakes chill completely.
8. Either using a frosting bag or a spoon, top the cupcakes with the frosting, a chocolate drizzle “garland” and some sprinkle “ornaments”! Enjoy!