We think you'll love this spin on the classic pesto for 2022!
- 2 packed cups fresh basil, destemmed
- 1 cup cashews
- 2 teaspoons spirulina
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅓ cup nutritional yeast
- Juice from ½ a lemon
- ⅓ cup tahini
- ⅔ cup veggie broth or unsweetened nondairy milk (veggie broth if you want it a bit lighter and a greater depth of flavor, nondairy milk for a simpler, creamy taste!)
- Add everything to a blender and blend until smooth! Store in a jar and use for topping bread, as a veggie and cracker dip, in pesto risotto, with salads, etc!
Rye Bread Ingredients
Requires a dutch oven or similar oven safe pot!
- 1 ½ cup (340g) warm water
- 1 teaspoon (7g) honey
- 2 ¼ teaspoons (21g) yeast
- 2 teaspoons (6g) salt
- 1 ¾ cup (234g) all purpose flour + a few tablespoons extra
- 1 ½ cup (165g) rye flour
- 2 tablespoons (18g) vital wheat gluten
- Cornmeal for the bottom of the loaf
- In a large glass bowl, add the warm water (like bath water temperature) and Mix the two then evenly sprinkle the yeast over the top and allow the yeast to sit and bubble for 1 minute.
- After the minute, add in the remaining ingredients (ideal if you can sift the flours) to the bowl and use a wooden spoon to mix until just combined. Cover with a clean tea towel and let the dough rise on the counter for at least an After about 30 minutes, preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit and place your dutch oven into the oven to heat up.
- Once the dough has doubled in size, sprinkle in a little more flour and use your hands to mix it in until you can pick up the dough and form a nice ball. Carefully remove the dutch oven from the oven and sprinkle the bottom with cornmeal, place the dough into the dutch oven, slice an “x” into the top of the loaf then cover with the lid and place the dutch oven back into the main oven
- Bake for 25 minutes, then remove the lid and bake for another 8-10 minutes until golden and the loaf sounds hollow when you knock on it!
- Let cool entirely then slice, top with some pesto and enjoy!