These vegan slice and bake swirl cookies are a healthy Halloween treat, but really are delicious all throughout the year when you have a cookie craving.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Makes: 10 cookies
- 1 flax egg (mix 1 tablespoon ground flax with 2 tablespoons water and set aside to thicken)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons nondairy milk
- 1/2 cup rice flour
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot (or corn/tapioca starch)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- a pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon rice flour
- 1 tablespoon Hawaiian Spirulina powder
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and line a cookie sheet with parchment or a silicone baking mat.
2. In a mixing bowl, mix the ground flax and water, let thicken for 3-5 minutes.
3. Add in maple syrup, vanilla, and nondairy milk and mix.
4. Add in the first list of dry ingredients and mix until it forms a dough.
5. Split the dough in half, with the first half mix in an additional 1 tablespoon of rice flour, into the other half mix in 1 tablespoon of spirulina powder.
6. On a floured surface, or parchment, roll out the first half of dough into a rectangle, then lightly roll the other half on top of the first half, roll the dough up like a cinnamon roll then slice into cookies about ½ inch thick.
7. Lightly flatten/smooth out the cookies on the lined baking tray and bake for 12-15 minutes, until lightly golden. Let cool before removing from the pan and enjoy!
You can even make frosting and press them together to make sandwich cookies!
- 1 ½ cup raw cashews
- ½ cup nondairy milk
- 31/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Optional ½ teaspoon turmeric for color
1. Blend everything together until smooth! If you need it to thicken a little bit, refrigerate before frosting the cookies, and enjoy!