These peppers make a great side or entrée.
MAKES 2 SERVINGS
- 2 fresh bell peppers, any color (bottoms and tops sliced off)
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 6 oz. mushrooms, chopped small
- ½ cup diced red peppers
- ½ cup diced cherry tomatoes
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 1 teaspoon Hawaiian Spirulina powder
Preheat oven to 375. Sauté onions, mushrooms and peppers until softened, and sprinkle with ground black pepper. Add mixture to quinoa and mix in diced tomatoes and Hawaiian Spirulina. Place the pepper “shells” in a small baking dish and fill with the quinoa and veggie mixture. Wrap in foil and bake for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, remove from oven and sprinkle with goat cheese. Bake an additional 15 to 20 minutes until the goat cheese starts to melt and brown.
NOTE: Please be aware that, like many vegetables, the nutrients in spirulina may break down when heated so we recommend minimizing heat.